View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
kodabear
YorkieTalk Newbie!

My family and I had a similar experience with our dog Kodabear. About a week ago we thought we were going to lose him. He began with a fever, not eating or drinking, blood in his poop and dry heaving. We had to make a emergency trip to the Vet in the middle of the night. He was given fluids, antibiotics, de-wormer and sent home. We paid $500.00 in Vet bills for these treatments.

After about four days our dog seemed to be getting worse; he was weak and continued to not eat or drink. I should also mention Koda began hiding under the bed all day, which was abnormal. Finally, I called the Vet agian because our dog seemed to be getting worse. The Vet suggested I bring the dog back in, but I would have to pay another $100.00 plus any other services would be extra!

I should mention that I do not have this kind of money as I am a student and I had expected that my dog would be getting better after paying $500.00. I was extremely scared, frustrated and angry.

Another pet owner suggested to me that I bring our dog to a good Vet in the U.S. (I am in Canada, about an hour from the U.S. border). After speaking with this Vet she suggested that I bring my dog in A.S.A.P. and money was not an issue, whatever treatments needed to be done could be worked out into a payment plan if needed. When I arrived at this clinic I was treated honestly and not as $$$. The Vet suggested that Koda stay, as he was extremely weak and still running a fever. She said she did not know exactly what was wrong with him, but would try to get hime better. Finally, some honesty, and never once was I asked to pay money up front.

After a 2 night stay, our dog was finally well enough to come home. During Koda's stay at the pet hospital, the Vet put him on a I.V. and a new type of antibiotics. The Vet said our dog most likely had a G.I. infection or could have eaten something that made him sick.

I appreciate Dr. E's honesty and understanding, and I will be bringing my dog back to her as she really cares about animals and doesn't see them as $$$$. The best part of this situation is that the total cost for Koda's stay was 73.00 U.S. which works out to roughly 80.00 CAD, even after the cost of gas it was still cheaper to bring our dog to the U.S. for treatment. Nevertheless, our Kodabear is back to his old self!!!

I am disappointed and saddened by the way my family and I were treated by our previous Vet. Our dog would have DIED had we not went elsewhere, and all because we did not have the money for the Canadian VET to keep doing useless tests on him!!

I hope everyone can learn from my story as my family did. First, do not give up hope. Second, ask around as pet owners may be able to give better direction. Finally, do not pay loads of money up front, unless you are sure you will be given results.
kodabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!