View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #11
mommyofsophie
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

I know what you mean, Sophie is all about the treats! :-) She only weights 2 lbs., so I have to be super careful with portions. Once a week I prepare about 4 cups of Cheerios, just cutting them in half. (I use the edge of the sharp kitchen knife to line about 6 of them up in a row so I can cut through all of them in one cut.) It's not very time consuming, and I listen to NPR while I'm doing it to keep it fun, lol. Then, I put the Cheerios in a gallon size Ziploc bag with organic dried liver treats that I've broken into little morsels. The liver treats give the Cheerios a meaty smell/taste that Sophie loves! I keep a tiny plastic container of treats in every room of the house and got two little containers that I clipped on to both of her leashes-- that way treats are always at the ready and I can reward a positive behavior immediately after I click. (I wear a clicker on a stretchy key ring on my wrist in the house, and have one on each of her leashes.)

I also give her one frozen baby carrot every morning as her big treat at the end of clicker training. I've tried apple slices, but she's not crazy about them. She gets ecstatic when she sees the Tupperware container with the baby carrots come out of the freezer, so I guess I'll stick to them. I see several puppies like broccoli, so I think I'll try that, too!
mommyofsophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!