View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
time2go
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Unhappy UTI and Urine Crystals -- Questions

After a emergency trip to the vet today we were told Gracie had a UTI and LOTS of crystals in her urine. I don't recall the name of the crystals, but I do remember her saying they were coffin shaped (she took me back to look at the slide). After doing a little research, I found they were struvite crystals or triple phosphate. She also mentioned the number 70 and said the normal was 5 or less? Gracie also had xrays and no stones were found.

After reading some other posts, I realized Gracie had been licking herself some but other than that nothing until the little bit of blood when she peed this morning.

She sent me home with an anitbiotic (orbax) and uroese to help dissolve the crystals. The orbax is for 2 weeks and the uroese is for 30 days. She also recommended I change her food to one specifically for urinary health permanently. She does sell the Hills but didn't recommend it.

Currently I have been feeding Wellness Core Lamb & Rice, Wellness Simple Solutions Salmon & Rice and Solid Gold Wee Bits. We mix them. I also use distilled water. Gracie also has allergies, environmental (no food). She has an injection every second week for her allergies.

I suppose I am looking for some recommendations for food, supplements, etc. I really do not want to change her food permanently to one with all the fillers. I have been reading lots but it all gets confusing. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!