View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
KaylaB
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

This is the way that I trained my German Shepherd and now am training Sasha to use the bell. I have a bird toy bell hanging with a shoe string on my backdoor. I ring the bell (shake the string or touch the bell to make a sound) and give the puppy a treat and say "good girl/boy" about every 2 hours or whatever timing that your puppy usually goes pee/poop. I let the puppy outside to pee/poop and they get another treat after they do their business. It takes about a week of consistancy, but the puppy gets the idea of ringing the bell, treat AND gets to go outside. Sasha is also scared of the bell, but will ring it while running around with her toys by accident and I will give her a treat and bring her out. 8 out of 10 times, she will potty even though it is before the normal 2 hour timing. Note: when bringing puppy out just to play, do not ring the bell. Say something like "Playtime" and go out without ringing the bell, so that the puppy doesn't associate ringing the bell just to go out and play. Good luck.
KaylaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!