View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 05:10 AM   #1
hairhome
Yorkie Talker

Default Shorkie Puppie: Need some "expert" advice

Hello,

I have a 12-week old Shorkie (Yorkie/Shihtzu mix). She is the cutest little thing! I have a few questions and would appreciate hearing from experienced yorkie owners (I'm assuming her being a Shorkie doesn't make her too different than a Yorkie...)

1. She does the submissive peeing. I'm finding that it's generally upon greeting me when I come home from work, but does it other times as well (new people, etc.) In your experience, will she eventually grow out of this? We do NOT punish her or scold her. We simply clean it up.

2. We haven't started crate training her yet, but will in about a week or two. Is it best to start with night time crating (like 11:00 pm - 6:00 am) or a few hours during the day, first? We do have a crate in the kitchen (we keep her there with baby gates) and she's been in it a few times and doesn't seem upset by it.

3. We have two crates: first type is the type that she can only stand up and turn around and in, 2nd type is larger, wire, she can really see out of it, but bigger. My husband likes the bigger one, but I wonder if it's "too big" meaning crate training wouldn't work....?

4. For those of you away from home 8 hours a day (or longer), PLEASE share with me your potty training experiences. We seem SOOO far away from allowing her to be in parts of the house other than the kitchen. She's good about using her puppy pads...but (and it's hard to ask this question): were we naive in thinking we could have a dog when we're away from home for hours a day Mon-Fri? I mean, don't most folks who have dogs.....work?
hairhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!