View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
nana911
threadkillin' 6 pack
Donating Member

I think it depends on your feelings about children. If you really want them, I'd seek another opinion. I had mine in, I think '92, but I'd had my tubes tied after my last kid back in '76, when I was 21. Yeah, I know, but the surgeon knew I was serious. My hysterectomy was due to andometriosis and fibroids. Ando is when buildup of tissue and fluid is embedded inside surrounding muscles and not just clinging to the walls or so my gyno said. Anyway, I went through about 20yrs of pain, passing clots etc.. probably similar to what you are experiencing and I gotta tell you, the surgery was a miracle cure. To never go through any of that again is pure bliss. If you have no option, you can possibly leave your ovaries in and later harvest eggs. My ovaries were left and I still cycled and went through menopause. Otherwise you'll go through shock menopause. I wanted them removed to avoid the fear of ovarian cancer but... check this..you can still get ovarian cancer, even with your ovaries removed. Yeah, shocked me, too. Women are just screwed no matter what. I'm not sure how, but gyno told me and I did some research and it does happen. So, might as well leave 'em in. They produce hormones in God given levels that keep you sane . Just something to think about.

The kid issue is a whole 'nother thing. I remember many many years ago, Ann Landers did a poll asking parents if they would have it to do over would they have their kids and surprisingly the overwhelming majority, would not! Having kids is kind of a crapshoot. You can raise two kids exactly the same and one will be a success and one will be a crack whore. I swear, there is no way to guarantee which one or why one will break your heart. I've been blessed, but I've seen alot of heartbreak. My son gave me wonderful granddaughters. My daughter is 33 and she still hasn't decided if she will ever have kids. She followed me into law enforcement too young, at 18, and it made her cynical before she started reproducing...LOL If I were in my 20s today and starting, no way I'd have kids, not in today's culture...nope nada...more dogs...no kids...

But, it is a very personal decision.... I don't envy the fact that you have to make it at your age.

p.s. (on the upside, the sex is waaayyy better after a hysterectomy )
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!