View Single Post
Old 09-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly812 View Post
I tried our new baby (18 weeks) on the NV Raw medallions last night - and OMG - she LOVES them!! I can't even believe how she enthusiastic she was/is about eating!! My Jack Russell looked at me as if to say "huh? You want me to eat what?" But not Zoe! So my question is - how much do I feed her? The bag lists 4 medallions/day for a 10 lb. dog. Zoe is only 2.8 lbs. I gave her one medallion last night and one this morning - but it just doesn't seem like a lot of food! I did leave down a bowl of kibble in case she gets hungry during the day - but I don't think she's much interested in that now that she's had the "good stuff".
My other question is about teeth. I know I have been told not to feed canned food to Yorkies because they need the kibble for their teeth. The NV raw is obviously very soft. How does this affect their teeth? I am planning on getting her raw chicken necks for her to chew - will that be enough?

Thanks for any help!! Brand new to this "raw" feeding thing and want to make sure I do the best I can!
GREAT that she loves it, how exciting! Go to Natures Variety website and use their feeding calculator, not what's on the bag - the calculator is more accurate. Feed that way for about 3-4 weeks. Feel her body - if her ribs feel a bit too prominent, feed 1/2 medallion more; if she feels a bit too thick, then feed a little less .

Kibble doesn't "clean" teeth any more than eating cereal would clean our teeth. The enzymes in raw can help digest some of the gunk off of teeth, so that's one benefit of raw. Chewing is good for their teeth - ie, bully sticks, CET chews, antlerz, raw bones etcetera. You can also use Petzlife Gel, ProDen Plaque Off Powder, or brush their teeth.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!