Thread: Spaying
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
poughkeepsie
Yorkie Talker

Default Spaying

I have a two and a half pound yorkie. ( I do not believe in teacups but a reputable breeder had a runt a gave her to me as a trusted placement) She is nine years old and has never been spayed because my first vet told me she was too high-risk for anesthesia. She has an open fontanelle and, on occasion, slightly raised kidney values. She did however have to have surgery for advanced periodontal disease which she developed despite daily tooth brushing. She was done at the University of Minnesota with the best vets and underwent a transfusion and developed pneumonia post-surgery, apparently from some lung aspiration during surgery. She pulled through after weeks of home nebulization and coupage.
They did not want her under anesthesia any longer to perform spaying.
She has been a healthy, thriving dog ever since. She was six years old at the time of surgery but I worry about pyometra with her not being spayed. She has regular, very light heat cycles which seem to cause her no distress. I'm just really afraid to put her through surgery again. Not to mention when it was all resolved, her vet bill was four thousand dollars. I clean houses for a living so I'm not very wealthy. :?
Any advice?
poughkeepsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!