View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
browniesmom622
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp4m2 View Post
I found what it is!!...

It's not a grub worm, my lawn is full of those so I knew what they looked like....

It's a Crawkly-Back!!

This is what you have....

Attachment 291922

Congratulations. You have Crawly-Backs. Charles Hogue indicates in his wonderful book, Insects of the Los Angeles Basin, that the grubs of the Green Fruit Beetle or Figeater, are called Crawly-Backs. He writes: “The adults are active from late summer to early fall and, during this period, lay their eggs in compost piles and other accumulations of decomposing plant litter. The larvae are fairly large (2 in., or 50 mm, long) and C-shaped; the body is pale translucent white, and the head is dark brown. The first two molts are completed in the fall, the third the following spring. Larvae move forward on their backs with an undulating motion of the entire body. They obtain purchase on the substratum with transverse rows of stiff short stout bristles on the back of the thorax. Because of the peculiar manner of locomotion, they are known as ‘crawly-backs.’” The adults are beautiful metallic green beetles that have a loud buzzing flight.

This is a grub....

Attachment 291923
My neighbor doesn't clean up his leaves in his yard There are piles of them from even last year Is there where there breeding you think??

I will go clean up for him!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!