View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 09:36 AM   #15
lovespandp
♥Momma's Bambino♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princes mom View Post
I need something to help relax Prince before getting his nails cut and foot pads trimmed. Benedryl doesn't work for us. Anything holistic??
Thanks!

Acepromazine

When I worked at the vet, we would have a couple "agressive", "stress" dog's come in that would need Acepromazine. Its a sedative, you can only get it from the vet with a perscription. And the dog needs an exam before they give it. I am not one to just drug up your dog just bc they need their nails cut, but in those cases it was a must, and they will big dogs, shepards, labs...it is just an idea.

I would honeslty try working with him. Rub his feet a lot when he "lets" you with no problem give him a treat..keep doing that over and over and he will get better..I think YOU have to do something..or what you are always going to have to give him something when he gets his feet done??

Peanut is a BASKET CASE when I take him to get his nails cut. He comes out panting and stressed out to the maxed..and I know him, its not them its him! So the next time I went to have them do it we went in an exam room and I held him down and talked to him, blew on his face. It helped alot! I personaly think its all in the "holder" I have learned to hold biting cats down when they will just lay there and be submissive to me. When I hold peanut I "scruff" him and I lay him on his side with my arm laying over his body. He just sits there. He has no choice. When we are done I tell him he is a good boy and treat him. Works everytime.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!