View Single Post
Old 03-22-2005, 10:12 AM   #4
yorkieagility
YT 1000 Club Member

AGILITY
Start with some obedience. A good "come", "sit", "stay", & "down" is very important in agility. I would not recommend formal agility training until they are almost 1 year old. However, I have trained puppies as young as 6 months old in Puppy Agility.

Competiting dogs are divided into groups determined by the jump height(range is determine by the organization you are competiting in) and class( start at the lowest class and move up as you qualify and advance)

FLYBALL
Yorkies are harder to train in flyball than some of the other breeds but not impossible. There are 32 yorkies are registered with North American Flyball Club. Twenty of them have points toward a title. Nineteen of them have at least 1 title. Their only limitation is whether they can trigger the box, and small dogs often have to fully jump on it to do so.

The hurdle height is determined by the shoulder height of the smallest dog(height dog) in the team. The jump height is 4“ (10 cm) below the shoulder, to a height of no less than 8”(20.3 cm).

The smallest dog to compete in flyball is Dixie, a Pomeranian is owned by Carol Fatheree of Texas AllStar Express weighs in at 3.5 pounds.

One of my dog competes in flyball. She ranks in the top 10% for Yorkshire Terriers. Took me well over 2 years to train her.

Frisbee

I know of some yorkies that competes in frisbee but don't know much more about it. I never got into it plus I can't throw

To tell you how bad I'm at throwing anything. Yesterday, in obedience we were training the dogs to jump over a jump to fetch a dumpbell and then bring it back over the jump. All the dogs were having problem except mine. However, I was told by my instructor to put my dog up for the rest of the evening and I was pulled to the side of the class to work on my dumpbell throwing. My instructor told me "Thank God, your dog is smart and will take the jump coming back because your throwing is HORRIBLE".
yorkieagility is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!