View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 08:40 PM   #9
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria1989 View Post
A puppy's temperament fully depends in what environment you bring him in and how you as a master treats him. As a puppy I'm sure he hasn't yet developed a permanent temperament so I don't think there is a need to get a test done...I'm truly not sure never heard of this temperament test...
I do not believe that is entirely true. Did you read the tests? I think they could be very helpful in puppy placement. The tests are a more structured version of the more informal evaluation I gave my pups. Temperment is not the same as behavior. While any patient trainer can help mold the behavior, I think there are basic traits inborn. I treated all of my puppies the same and they had the very same environment, but I could easily see the different personalities emerge -- different temperments. It was with that information, I helped new owners match up with the best puppy for their family. Rocky (the male I kept from last litter) would not be the pup for an older single lady that wanted a placid lap dog. She got the docile female of the litter that prefered to be curled up in a lap to playing fetch and jumping on the other dogs. Since I had other very active dogs, Rocky is a good fit for us. I still work on his behavior and it is constantly improving, but his temperment is that of a more dominant dog. He likes to do things like push a toy into my hand, so I will play fetch with him. Rocky and Ben trade off who chases who during their "zoomies." Having two dominant males can be a handful but fun too.

Last edited by FlDebra; 09-14-2009 at 08:43 PM.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!