View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #13
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msantiago921 View Post
Hi, i'm new to yorkie talk and this is my first post i hope i'm doing it correctly. I have a question and hopefully some breeders could help me out. I purchased my nina about 6 months ago when she was about 12 weeks old the person i bought her from told me her mother was 5 pounds and the dad about 3 to 4 pounds. He explain to me she shouldn't be bigger then 5 pounds. I started noticing she was getting bigger and bigger and didn't look like the size of most yorkies. I saw the mother but he told me he paid someone for the stud, so i never got to see the dad but only in pictures. My dog weights about 10 to 12 pounds. People tell me I got taken for my yorkie. is it normal for a dog to be bigger then the parents?

thanks hopefully someone can help me with this question
Welcome to YT! You posted perfectly. Whether or not you got taken, I suppose depends on the terms of the sale. Is your girl an AKC registered pup? Did you get a guarantee? What did it have to say about size. As already mentioned, guarantees rarely will mention size unless to exclude it. There can occasionally be throw-backs to previous generations. In the pictures you posted, the father looks relatively small and you said you saw the mother so I would guess you could verify she looked around 5 pounds. What about grand-parents and great-grand-parents. You really need to look at the grandparents at least and also get an idea as to what other litters of the same mating has produced. That will give you a good idea but you can still be surprised. No guarantees. One way to increase your odds of having a Yorkie be within standard (less than 7 pounds) as an adult is to stick with reputable breeders. The reputable breeders have researched their dam and sire's history and know what to expect. They breed to standard, and will generally get standard. But again, this just increases the odds, it is still no guarantee. At times a genetic trait may show up from several generations past.

I would say if you bought pet quality, paid pet quality, and have a healthy pup that meets most of the yorkie standards, then you probably were not taken. If you paid top price, or were ensured your pup would be in standard, show or breeding quality, then you may have been taken. It is very difficult to ensure a certain size unless you buy an adult.

You will find many "teapot" (over 7 pounds) lovers on this site. Many even prefer them to be larger so as not to be quite as fragile with children, other pets, or just their environment. Hopefully, you have a healthy pup with a great personality -- those are the most important things for a pet!
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!