View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #13
YorkieMother
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdustmops View Post
IMO the only reason people don't know about her is that she does not have her own tv show. I read her book along with several others that believe in positive training a number of years ago. This woman is very interesting and I wish more people would buy her book.

I also am including an article on her and CM and how they view the President's dog Bo.

Tamar Geller
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tamar Geller is a dog trainer who developed "the Loved Dog" method of dog training. After serving as a Mossad Israeli intelligence officer[1], she dedicated her time to observing wolves in the wild and studying how the parent canines trained their young. By using similar techniques as the wolves, she created a method of training puppies that did not involve aggression, dominance, or choke chains. She is the founder of the first cage-free doggy boarding and day care center in southern California, called The Loved Dog.[citation needed] Her book of the same name teaches dog-owners how to train their dogs in a nonaggressive way.
Among other things, Tamar Geller works closely with The Humane Society of the United States, conducts speeches and programs for rescue organizations, and gives lectures about her expertise in animal behavior at Pepperdine University.
Tamar Geller’s innovative techniques have made her into the dog trainer of several celebrities[2], including Oprah Winfrey, Ben Affleck, Owen Wilson, and the Osbournes.
She has appeared on various television programs and media outlets, including The Today Show, Oprah, Animal Planet, CNN, USA Today[2], and 20/20 .

The Loved Dog - Meet Tamar

UPI Photo/Landov
What's Next For Bo?
By Shane Michael Singh April 17, 2009 04:21 PM EST
Hail to the pooch! After three months in office President Obama finally fulfilled his promise to daughters Sasha and Malia April 14 and adopted Bo, a six-month-old Portuguese water dog. TV Guide Magazine asked America’s two favorite dog trainers to weigh in with some hound advice. The results? National Geographic Channel’s Dog Whisperer Cesar Millan says it’s about loyalty and respect, while The Loved Dog’s Tamar Geller insists that it all comes down to, well, love.

What’s First for the First Dog

Geller says using Bo’s name properly is most important: “People make a mistake by saying the dog’s name when they’re not actually talking to the dog,” she says. “So, they’re desensitizing the dog to his name.”

“A name in the animal world does not exist,” says Millan, who believes the pup’s new name shouldn’t be the focus. Instead, he suggests the Obamas take all that new-dog excitement down a notch. “They’ve welcomed [Bo] with energy, yes; but it’s important that they start to relate to him in a calm sort of state.”

On Training Bo

It’s all fun and games for Geller, who suggests Malia and Sasha get involved in the training process. “Play something like a game of hide-and-seek: [The girls] should call Bo only by his name. When he comes say, ‘Cooommmeee!’ in a happy tone of voice, and give him a treat. Do it four or five times and every time change locations,” she says. “It’s a great way to train the dog without feeling it’s a chore. The girls will think, ‘Oh my god, it’s so much fun! I want to keep training the dog.’ A kid can be a better dog trainer because a kid can still remember how fun it is to play games.”

“In the animal world, excitement and love is not seen as leadership,” says Millan, who thinks six months is a good age to train. “[It] comes easy once the dog knows you’re the leader. Are they chasing Bo? When they board Air Force One is Bo first? All dogs are born to follow.”

Doggy Don’ts

Geller warns against talking to dogs authoritatively. “Don’t be like, ‘I’m in charge and you better listen to me!’ That’s kind of like the way we saw the last eight years,” she says. “It’s more about, ‘I know you’re different than me, Bo, but I respect you. Let’s find a common ground where I know you’re happy and I’m happy. Both our needs are being met.’”

“When dogs meet each other, they don’t go, ‘Hey how you doing?!’ says Millan. “A mistake people make when training a dog they follow human psychology: Hey Bo! How ya doin’? Come here, I’ve got a cookie!”

Final Words

“Barack Obama is all about clear communication, and it does not change when it comes to dog training,” says Geller, who emphasizes always focusing on the positive. “Focus on what the dog is doing right. If they to do, they’re going to have the best dog in the world. And if not they need to call me - I know that he got my number from a few people!”

“Bo doesn’t know he lives in the White House,” reminds Millan. “The only thing he’s going to know is whether they’re fulfilling his needs.”
Ok now that explains the wolf thing better. I see wolf matched with dog and usually it going no place good fast but under the right context of what a wolf family is it makes sence.
I still thiink we need to see much more of her.
Thanks for enlighening me I do appreicate it very much.

JL
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!