Thread: Ringworm
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #15
BacisMom
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Hello Carolines Mommy

I hope this finds you in better spirits.
Do not let it get you down.

Baci had ringworm when i brought him home and I had no idea he had it until i took him for his first vet appointment. It took FOREVER to get rid of and it is highly contagious.

Luckily, my husband, cat, and I did not end up catching it.

Part of the reason it took forever to get rid of was because of the medication Baci was on. He was not only on cream but oral medicine. The oral medicine wasnt working because it was based on weight and he had gained weight in between times to the vet. Eventually it was enough and the lesions went away.
It took awhile for the hair to grow back.
But while baci had this... he was confined to one room of our house. A big room... with his crate inside of it. And it happened to be the kitchen. Why? because tiles is easier to clean than carpet. (he was potty training as well)

I gave him baths at least once a week with a medicated shampoo. And i used latex gloves while playing with him. And EVERYDAY i cleaned the floor and the walls and his toys. I only allowed him to play with rubber toys at first bc they were easier to clean.

The spores coming off the lesions can re-infect him.

It all sounds so tedious and I may have been a maniac. There were days I came home from work crying wanting to give up. But I am SOOOO glad I didnt. Hang in there. And ask your vet for oral meds...
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!