View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesha View Post
ok so I taught Denzel how to sit stay and paw by myself but for the past week I tried to get him to pay it didn't work so today I bought a clicker and now if he doesn't see the clicker in my hand he won't sit stay and paw for me and I still can't get him to lay I tried showing the treat in the sit position and bring it down to the floor but he gets made when he don't get the treat walk away and come back tackling my hands for the treat and now he looks away when I try to train him not to mention the tricks I taught him he won't do in front of no one not even my boyfriend can someone help me sort this mess should I stop the click method and get professional help?
That's one of the reasons I don't care for the clicker method. You always have to carry the clicker with you. I use the word "YES" instead of the click; I also use the word "UH-UH" to mean that behavior won't get a reward. It's good to have both words, because I find I can communicate with him better. You could carry the clicker around your neck, and you could also gradually substitute the word yes for the click. To do this say the word "Yes" then click immediately afterwards, and give treat. Soon he'll be salivating when he hears "YES".

Join today and remove this ad!