View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
YorkieMother
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ng View Post
Hi there i'm new to this site and i just have a question. I am the proud (sometimes) owner of 4 month old Yorkie. Any idea how i can calm a Yorkie down to teach her tricks? Every time i try to teach her a trick she gets all hyper and runs everywhere. I tried training her after a walk but then she really has no interest in it. I was thinking about teaching her on her leash? any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Let me start with congratulation on the new baby.
So Puppy has puppy brain and like all babies has a focus problem. Normal.
What to do? go slow work on eye contact and hay focus but keep it short and easy. Babies have a hard time focusing. eye contact and when she is still feed that with calm praise and food.
On leash is a good idea. try it.
I work on short things like sit or down to start and teach her good things come with a little work.
Have a look at clicker solutions web site it has a lot of good article on getting started with a puppy.

Now if eye contact does not work and she still a busy girl you can do things like may stays and a protocol by Karen overall called the protocol for relaxation.
Plus there are a few really good books one call Control unleashed and the one I like and am reading as it is the pre step to control unleashed is Chill out Fido. How to calm your dog by Nan Kene Arthur.
She is a wee little baby and I am not sure how long she has been home but the whole world is so big and new and wow exciting who really wants to do tricks, Girls just want to have fun...

So make what you do fun as calm as you can.

JL

Last edited by YorkieMother; 09-12-2009 at 11:14 PM.
YorkieMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!