View Single Post
Old 09-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
YorkieMother
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop View Post
I have a lovely 10-week old yorkie called Sky.

I have got her to understand that going toilet outside is a good thing - and she goes every time I take her out. Which is fantastic.

Next I need to teach her that going inside is not good. I'm just not sure how to communicate that to her? (When i was trying before to tell her not to go she just misunderstood me to mean dont go in front of me - which made training her to go outside much harder so now i just ignore it completely inside).

Especially since I work part time and am out for longer than I can reasonably expect her to hold it, or overnight.

She has a mat indoors but doesnt use it most of the time.
I dont know whether to train her to use the mat, or a litter tray or if that will just confuse her.
Ideally I'd like her to go outside when I'm in (maybe take the litter tray away?) and inside on a mat or tray when she's left longer than an hour. Is that possible? If so how would I go about it?

any ideas would be great.
Thanks

You got it that is why scolding does not work it teaches them to not go infront of you or it can teach them any attention is good attetnion.
SO best bet if you can and it is hard isto ignore the accidnets.
ASk her to leave the room or take her out and clean it up without her in sight cause you know or at least I do I grumble under my breath and that is still attention to them.

When she goes out go with her reward with words as she pees.. keep it low and calm not to excited you want her to continue to the end of her pee.
Then as soon as she is done...toss a small party and pass out treats.
I do not Daul train my dogs at all one way or the other and outside for ME and I am saying me not anyone else works best.
Wish though I had trained my dogsto both although my old girl knows well if she can not hold it there is a mat in the bath room that she can use and does and she just gives ne the clean up look when I get home...she never gets told she did wrong justgood girl thanks for not using the carpet.

JL
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!