View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
BayAreaDesigner
Yorkie Yakker

Default Trainer says give 2nd Yorkie back to breeder

I am hoping that some of the multiple yorkie owners will weigh in here. I had a trainer who was highly recommended come to my home last week. I have 2 yorkies. Lily is 5 mos and I just got Lola about 3 weeks ago and she is 4 mos (she didn't have socialization skills as she was at the breeders for 16wks). Lily has gone thru puppy training and I have had her since she was 10 wks old. I work during the day and so I have been researching the best way to handle that (I have come home at lunch, used a dog walker and puppy daycare) and because I wanted to also make sure that the setup in my home was the best for 2 puppies I called in a trainer. One of the first things he said was that he wants to be perfectly frank with me and instructed me to give Lola back to the breeder. He said having the 2 would present major problems down the road. He said they would fight and the competition would be disastrous as they matured. The dominant one would become more dominant and aggressive. He said I would probably lose my money but that any breeder worth their salt would take her back and that I shouldn't feel guilty about it. In the long run he said I would be much better off. He said if I was going to have 2 yorkies one of them should have been a male. He said that their play was not appropriate and that 2 females spells "TROUBLE" I was sad & shocked. He also told me to get them spayed "tomorrow" The vet and I had discussed it already and decided to wait a month and have them both done at the same time. He said vets aren't trainers. Later we took the 2 pups outside because Lily had been planting when I would try to take her for a walk. He said I needed one of those collars with the prongs so she could feel it when I tug on the leash (I only use harnesses) He said there was no reason why she shouldn't wear a collar. As she would not walk he drug her down the street and then put the end of the leash around her neck and drug her a little more. She NEVER walked. I paid him $100 for the consult. Of course now she won't walk at all on the leash. I had not heard any of these negatives before I got Lola and I wonder what the opinion of some of you that have or have had multiple puppies is. Oh and, I thought the 2 of them were coming along really well together. But I guess I'm not a trainer either. Thanks
BayAreaDesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!