View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
marcerella02
Loved by Layla
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMySissy View Post
Hi Marci-
Good for you for taking the fitness plunge. It takes a long time for a stress fracture to develop. However, it does sound like you may have shin splits - which are very painful and very common in new runners. Did you get a new pair of shoes, or are you using what you had? If you didn't specifically get new shoes when you began, that is the first thing I'd recommend. Go to a specialty fitness shoe store where they can advise you on the appropriate shoes for your foot and stride. The right shoes can make all the difference in the world. Also, try running on a soft surface like along the grass rather than on the sidewalk/street or better yet, go to a track at a school where the track is made from recycled tires, so it is nice and cushy. Hope this helps & keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!
Hey Jodie- it was SO hard to start- but i have the Run for the Cure as my goal so I have something to work towards.

New shoes- yup. And alreayd had the shin splints- two weeks ago- lol... I had those once years ago- went to the hospital with what i thought was a broken leg i felt so dumb- but i iced those away. So i know it isn't that.

Right now i am running on a treadmill- I have joint issues and the treadmill is much easier on them.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!