View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #5
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanm1963 View Post
some one told me that Royal Canin is similar to McDonalds , tastes really good but has no benifical nutrients.. so of course she loves it... I have since changed to Natures Variety Prarie...
I think that's exaggerating a bit, RC isn't at the top of the list, but it isn't at the bottom either, I think someone was wrong when they told you it has no beneficial nutrients. It has all the vitamins, and a a medium level of protein that some people think is best for dogs. It does contain corn, and some dogs are allergic to corn, but there is nothing wrong with corn if your dog isn't allergic. Some of the cheaper brands use corn as the first ingrediant, and you want to avoid a food that does this. I'm not trying to push it, but I think it's wrong to label it as junk food.

Quote:
First of all, there is no truth to the claim that corn is a "bad ingredient" per se. Unless an individual dog is sensitive or allergic to corn, it is no better and no worse than other cereal grains, as long as it is used as a source of carbohydrates and not as a main source of protein, especially in combination with excessive use of corn gluten meal as another main ingredient.

Here's a good link that lists some myths about dog foods and why some of the grading systems that they used in the past aren't really useful.

The Dog Food Project - Grading kibble - easily?

Last edited by Nancy1999; 09-06-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!