View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
kelsie123186
YT Addict

Default SO confused I need help! Should I restrict her eating?

Bailey used to eat purina pro plan (as recommended by our vet) but we decided recently to change her food, she didnt seem as enthusiastic lately about her food and being that she is 2 and 1/2 lbs we have to be careful with her. Anyway, she always has been small and thin and our vet has always said she is a good weight for her size and that she is not underweight. Bailey is almost 3 and for the last 3 years we have never bothered to portion her food, we would just fill the bowl when it was empty and she would pick at it when she was hungry. Well last week we switched her to royal canine and she hasnt stoped scarfing it! She is over 3 lbs now and dosnt stop eating (if we put food in the bowl she eats, and if we refill it she eats more) we can feel a huge difference in her weight when we pick her up and it worries me. At first we were happy about the weight gain and encourage it because it is soo stressfull having such a little furbaby but it just seems like she is gaining too much weight too quickly. Not to mention her back right knee has been poping a little so we are worried about lp. If we can tell when we pick her up that she is much heavier than that must be alot harder on her knees. So this morning I decided to not refill her bowl and start her on regularly schedualed meals but she looked at me so sad when I didnt refill her bowl this morning and my boyfriend is telling me im cruel for trying to restrict her eating... What should I do? Should I let her continue to eat when she wants? Am i over reacting to the weight gain? I dont care if shes bigger I love her no matter what but I want her to be healthy! Suggestions? comments? Any input is appreciated.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!