View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 06:11 AM   #9
sdnylz
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMySissy View Post
For Suzy - law says they must have the "adult" rabies booster and then it will be good for 3 years. There is a Rabies Challenge Fund made up of several prominent vets who are trying to get the rabies vaccine changed to a 7 year protocol. As with most other vaccines, studies are indicating lifetime immunity for all of these vaccines, but getting rabies to go from 3 to 7 years is a major hurdle, just as it was to go from 1 to 3 years. Most vets offices still recommend yearly boosters of everything as this is the way they were taught, and the vast majority of monies are brought in from annual vaccinations. There are still many vets and owners out there who are not comfortable with not vaccinating every 3 years. I am not one of them, however and my girls will not be getting anything other than rabies for the rest of their lives - and I won't waste money on titers as a low titer does not mean low immunity, nor does a booster vaccine guarantee an increased titer amount.

For the puppy, how many rounds of puppy vaccines has she had and at what age did they begin? The newer vaccination protocol recommends 2-3 rounds of vaccinations and they should not begin until at least 10 weeks of age. Definitely do not let them give the distempter/parvo on the same day as rabies. I believe in CA the rabies law is also that they be given this at 4 months of age. If you need to, I'd give the rabies first and then wait 2-3 weeks for the distempter/parvo.

Good luck!!!!
mine had the rabies and lyme disease together. the parvo by itself. I'm still confused about the yearly shots too. it seems excesive to put all those chemicals in the yorkie's little bodies
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!