View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
Cerise
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Default where do they really come from?

I have read dozens and dozens of post on this site. So many new pups are spoiling their crates and have behavior habits and problems that scream PUPPY MILL or bad breeding, even when the owner thinks they have bought them from a nice breeder. I do realize that a lot of the pups are rescues as well.

A well bred and socialized puppy from a reputable breeder should not have the habits of one that was neglected in a puppy mill, or from a back yard slacking breeder who breeds for profit only. It is amazing how many people are finding themselves in a fix with their new additions, that is stressful and challenging.

I do realize a new puppy does need time to adjust to a new life and it's not his/her fault if the owner is clueless about handling these challenges. I am beginning to think there are many scammers in the dog selling business who even go as far as to present puppies like they come from a breeding household that cares, just to make the sale. And the rescue business is working hard against the wind with all of these problems.
All of this makes the old saying "you get what you pay for" more realistic with a deeper meaning, because some of these unsuspecting new puppy owners paid a lot and still got tricked. Then again some looked for the bargain and ended up on the cheap end of quality scale. I guess the saying should be "you get what you pay for and if you pay without knowing what you're paying for, you will still get it".

In America the way of obtaining pet ownership is about the same as freedom of religion. There are so many views on what is right and what is wrong. But what is wrong is the fact that most people obtain pets on an emotional whim instead of planning for the new little one. They should be planning like they might for a career, having a child, or the purchase of a new or first home. All of these things need good planning and preparation. The only exception is the child, which has the possibility to come unplanned...but then that is usually because of lack of planning...LOL...oh well, still a blessing to most as it should be.

I admire all of you who stick it out with new pups that are challenging. They deserve the care and love you bring to them, because they didn't ask for the nonsense of poor breeding practices. Just like neglected kids don't ask for the bad parents they were born too. Whether it's children or animals, thank goodness for people with good hearts and patience. But if you aren't up to the challenge (SERIOUSLY) of a not so admirable situation don't fool yourself into thinking your situation will be different. This cycle of yes I do but now I don't, is why so many pups are put to sleep... EVERYDAY.

I really hope the future will be better for all who want (or feel the need) to bring in a new furbaby into their lives. I pray that more people will educate themselves on what to look for when deciding about this. I know I am because I now realize how ignorant I was to the industry of pets before. We all have a past and have made mistakes or misunderstood things and how they work. That is the beauty in being the human in our human/pet relationships...we are able to change for the better of both of us. My plans are only for the BEST interest for my future furbaby. I seriously would like to see more laws against the over breeding practices that the puppy mills, back yard slack breeders, and pet brokers have gotten away with for so long. But then some of that should also fall on the habits of the owners too. For if they did not have the habit of not doing research and investing quality time and effort into their search, the business wouldn't be so crooked and shameful.

Last edited by Cerise; 09-04-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Cerise is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!