View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
MntSnowBabies
Senior Yorkie Talker

I agree with Teresa, that she is too small. Most breeders don't breed their females unless their in the weight scales of 5.5 lbs to 7lbs. Your girl could very well carry a litter just fine, but IMHO she is too small and would possible need a c-section or you could lose her. To me its just not worth taking the risk. My girl is 5.5 lbs and I am scared crazy that I might lose her if she is pregnant (about two more weeks and I'll know). Its a chance that any of us breeders take when we breed.

The female is the one that decides the number of puppies (how many eggs she released during ovulation) as well as the size of the puppies. If you do decide that you want to breed her you need to talk to her previous owner (the breeder you got her from) and ask to her/him how many puppies the mother has on average as well as the grandmother. That will give you some idea at how many she could be having. There is also no exact measurement you should be looking for in a male size-wise (the female decides the size of the pups). It is better to use a male that is smaller just incase (my male is 3 lbs and dam is 5.5lbs), but its still doesn't guarantee anything.

If you love her, you'd be better off spaying her and keeping her just as a pet. She's a pretty little girl and you'd be upset if anything happened to her if you breed her.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!