View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Yorkiedaze
My hairy-legged girls
Donating Member

Feeding "real" food to any dog at any age can be confusing if you let it. I've been home cooking for dogs for over 50 years and can tell you right now that none of the many dogs and fosters have ever had one ounce of food related health problems.
I always suggest to anyone wanting to switch over to "real" food, to do it one step at a time. Feed red meat only for a few days, then turkey for a few days, then lightly steamed brocolli can be mixed in one of the meats for a few days, then brown rice mixed in for a few days, then try fresh green beans uncooked for a snack for a few days and so on. This is the only way you will know of any allergic reactions. ONE FOOD ITEM AT A TIME!
Keep things simple. If you feed real food, then NEVER give them store bought treats, I don't care WHAT it says on the package. Chances are there are things in it they don't list. Always make their treats, give apples, dried fruits, Yogurt, and raw small cut femur bones. They can't actually eat the bones, but they love chewing on them.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!