View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 06:30 AM   #2
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wend View Post
What do you look for in a stud (other than conformation, coat, temperment etc.)? Brocell. tested? Knees certified? I do not have a dog for stud, I am not advertising one. I am just wondering what you all expect from the stud owner. I have been looking around (don't need a stud for a year or so) and it seems owners are surprised I ask for these things, and tell me no, they have not been tested.
Hips x-rayed, eyes and ears tested, heart, bile acids, (although, this does not guarantee you that he's not a carrier, it just tells you that he is free of LS). Temperament and STDs'. You also, want to check on his lineage...If at all possible, see what his offspring looks like. A bit of information that has worked for me. If you find a stud that you really like, ask to use his sire for a stud....after all you can see what his sire has produced. You also want to be assured that his owner will be available to assist you in whelping if you need it. As well as help you in placing pups or take back pups that have been placed, should you not be able too. Make sure that the stud owner has a good contract that you can live with. If you go to a reputable/well known, respected stud owner, that stands behind their dogs, that is the best thing you could do.

Last edited by Mardelin; 09-03-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!