View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 04:50 AM   #15
TeresaM
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyLayne View Post
He already almost 4 pounds!

When do they reach their full size?

The breeder said he should reach about 7-8 pounds? but at 9 weeks he's already half that!

haha he's rambunctious for sure.

and thanks! My husband told me "ask those people on the internet what they think!" because he/we get a little offended when people tell us he's not a Yorkie because he doesn't fit a standard description.

How do you trim his ears without him freaking out? he hates the small trimmer and will only take to the bigger one and scissors.... lol
Don't put too much stock in what 'other' people say about your boy. I get it all the time too since all three of mine are so different looking.
"Oh cute dogs. What are they?"
"Yorkies"
"Really? All of them?"
"Yes"
Boo, Gracie Ruth & Yogi
New to YT - Is our son a Yorkie?-pimg0656_010.jpg New to YT - Is our son a Yorkie?-4.jpg New to YT - Is our son a Yorkie?-after.jpg

As for the ear trimming. I got a small mustache trimmer and started out letting them smell it and rubbing it all over them. Be sure to rub both the front and the back of his ears with it. Lots of treats and praise during all the steps. Then I turned it on and did the same. I rubbed the body of the trimmer while it was on all over them. Just be careful that the blades don't touch him or you'll have a one of a kind hair do. But if you put the blades to your thumb you'll see that you really won't 'cut' him, you still have to be careful because I did nick Gracie once. Once he's doing pretty good with you rubbing him with them on you can start to shave his ears. Both front & back, go slow with lots of praise and treats. Support the side of the ear that you aren't cutting with your other hand. This also helps to give the trimmer something firm to cut against. DH had to help hold G & Yogi still the first few times. In fact for G we sat on the bed with her in between us and I did my best to get an even trim sitting in that awkward position. But it was the best way for G, it seemed to calm her to have us around her instead of just DH holding her still. Yogi wasn't so worried, but kept trying to turn around to see what I was doing. "Watcha doin Momma? Do you have food? Is that a toy? I want to chew on it Momma. Momma, watcha doin?" Boys, gotta love 'em! Now neither one barely needs to be held to have their ears trimmed.

It could take a couple of days to get to the part where you can actually cut his ears. The idea is to get him to understand that it's not a bad thing, maybe not his favorite thing, but not a bad thing. Stop whenever you see his stress level hit it's limit. You always want this to be as pleasant as possible for him. I think with G it took until day 3 before I was actually able to trim an ear. Then we had to stop and give her a break before I did the other one.

But he's still quite young, 9 weeks right? It was easily 16 weeks before Gracie's started standing up. I'm don't think I'd worry about trimming his for several weeks yet. Take advantage of this time to strengthen your bond with him, let him see that you will protect him and keep him safe. That will go a long way to getting thru the 'scary' time with the trimmer.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!