View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 02:53 PM   #5
HisNameIsHarley
YT 1000 Club Member

Harley barked ALL the time too when I first got him (especially through the first days of crate training.. Harley would bark and one of my other dogs Zeus would howl bc he wouldn't shutup!) but I taught him to stop by saying "No!" (quite firmly) and everytime I say this I make a "stop" hand signal and he quiets. Now I only have to just give him that 'look' and put my hand up and MOST of the time he obeys. But sometimes there's just no quieting their hyper lil selves! It's all about patience (don't lose your temper!) and consistency. And try and catch her 'before' she actually barks. Pay attention to her body language she expresses before the initial barking. IE does her hair stand up? Does she stand or stare? You can practice learning her 'before body language' best by having someone help you out and set up a situation that would typically make her bark, observe her behavior and then after practice you can hopefully get her under control.

I've never used the 'ignore' tactic except when training him to get used to his x-pen. He used to cry and bark and whine hoping to get taken out but I informed my whole family that the only way they were ever allowed to take him out and praise/play with him was if he was being quiet. And that unless he was screeching like he was in pain ignore him. And it worked! Now if he wants to be played w/ he knows he must be quiet and behave himself first!

Now, Harley still barks sometimes. For example when he hears/sees strange people in the house, when he hears the other dogs barking, or when he hears something funny. That in itself is part of what makes this breed such great watch dogs!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!