View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

I think 12-16 weeks is ideal. Most are ready at 12 weeks, but if you wind up with a tiny one, best to let them stay with mom a little longer. Not only do they have more time to learn from mom, they also have time to put on a little more weight so a new owner is not faced with learning how to deal with hypoglycemic episodes and the puppies are a little sturdier. I go by the general rule, 12 weeks or two pounds -- but every puppy is different and some may require more time at home before venturing out.

Puppies taken from mom and siblings too young often have behavior issues like biting, fearfullness, aggression, either not bonding at all or clinging too much, and sometimes digestive issues as well. The momma dog is constantly teaching them. You may see her nose them around, nip gently at their necks, etc. She is showing them things, teaching them what they can and cannot do. When they miss those steps, it is up to the new owner to act as surrogate mother and teach these habits. Not as easy to do when you are not with them 24/7 like a momma dog.

I have also had very good luck getting potty training started with my pups as Ikeep them until at least 12 weeks. That way they have a good start before the shock of a new environment. It is a lot harder to teach this when they are trying to learn new surroundings and people. With my last litter every new owner told me the puppies were basically pad-trained when they got them. One said no accidents and the others all said very few. So there are a LOT of benefits to letting your puppy stay with its breeder, momma and siblings as long as possible.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!