View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
Pix
Yorkie Yakker

Sad Pix broke her leg - here's the story ...

Hi group,
it's been a long time I don't post anything here, but I do check from time to time.
Well, I wanted to share my Pix's story with you, so maybe it can be of some help to a few - hopefully no one needs this !!
It was a thursday night, 1AM, Pix was chasing one of the cats before going to bed. She jumped from my bed to the floor, and, in the excitement, she landed wrong. She cried really loud, and I could tell it was serious. I tried to keep her calm and go through the night ( it might be a strain) , but in the morning she wasn't any better. To make it short, she has a broken ulna and radius. In the first visit to the vet, an excellent clinic in Hollywood, Florida, they tried traction and a cast to see if it would heal, and then she wouldn't need surgery. After traction the bones really touched, so there was hope. Agter 10 days she went to 2nd XRay, and the bones were not touching anymore... so it took me a while but I decided for surgery, since waiting with the cast could wait forever and end in no heal after all. She had a plate and 7 tiny screws put in her bone, and now she will wear a bandage ( much lighter than the cast, Thank God!) for about 6 weeks, until it completely heals. She is in antibiotics for 7 days, happy, still a little tired from the 2 days in the hospital ( I picked her up yesterday), dirty ( no baths since 3 weeks ago, no baths in the near future because of the bandage), eating and drinking fine, and a bit afraid to use the broken leg yet.
My advices for those who might have the same kind of accident :
- don't encourage your yorkies to jump too much ... their bones ARE fragile and can break in a 20 inch jump
- if they cry, trust your feelings and observe... it can be a fracture or not, but you need to know
- if you can afford, take them to an orthopedic vet. These are small guys and not all vets can perform the best with them
- make a decision for or con surgery fast : the fractured bone tips start healing fast and makes it difficult to "glue" soon
- also make that decision soon because of the muscles.. the longer it takes, the more they will be contracted and hurt when they perform the operation. That goes for traction too.
Well, I hope this can be useful ... This is the short version, I am here for questions if I forgot to mention anything anyone may be interested in !
Will post the updates on Pix soon ! She has a bandage change next Monday, so I expect to hear something from the doc.

This is her pic taken yesterday... the bandage is not bad and she will probably try to use the leg soon :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brokenleg.jpg (103.5 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Pix; 09-01-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!