View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 05:08 PM   #14
LuvMySissy
Luv my Angel, too!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepixie12 View Post
What shampoo do you use for your fleas and ticks? I actually bought this product called flea flicker that protects against fleas, ticks and mosquitos and its all natural oils ... my holistic vet was impressed with my buy and told me that it looks like a great prodcut so I spray it on Maxi when we go to the park. But the shampoo seems like a good idea during the summer months.

Also, I just want to add that my vet aslo said to give him the heartguard every 3 months, not every month they way they tell you too because she said that for a small dog one pill will cover him for three months and its not necessary to give him in the winter months. Im not sure if I will stop or not, I have to see how it is here during the winter before I make a decision, but I doubt he will be going out much then so we will see
I use both Minksheen and Buddy Wash - both contains essential oils that are natural flea repellants. I work a lot with essential oils and love the smell, but many do not like it at all. I also use Cain & Able Lavender Fresh between bath spritz before we go outside. It again has essential oils and is heavy on the citronella. This has worked very well for us at meet-ups that are in rural areas with lots of weeds and trees around.

Just a note about Heartguard - the smallest dose is for a dog up to 25 lbs, so they are getting much more medication than if you used Interceptor. Giving only every three months does not ensure that larvae will be killed before reaching a stage that can be leathal. Heartworm medicine is only active in the system for 72 hours after giving - the reason for a monthly dose is to kill any larvae that may have hatched before they get to a stage 3 or 4. Many vets tell you it is not necessary in winter months, but even in Michigan, we see mosquitos in the house in the middle of winter. And for whatever reason, many strictly indoor animals have reported cases of heartworm in our area. This is the only thing my vet is adamant about. Interceptor is also less expensive than heartgard will many less reported problems.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!