View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 08:05 AM   #12
littlepixie12
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMySissy View Post
I also agree that vets recommend way to many vaccinations and many vets practices are sustained by vaccinations alone!!!!!

The government mandated amount of rabies vaccine is the same for a 1 lb dog as it is for a 200 lb dog. This makes absolutely no sense at all. Many vets will give less and still sign the certification since only you and they know what was given. Most states have adopted the 3 year rabies vaccine, but there are still a couple states that mandate it every year. The Rabies Challenge Fund is working to get the vaccine changed to every 7 years as there is documentation showing this also lasts literally a lifetime!!!!!!!!

I will not vaccinate my girls again for distemper, parvo, adenovirus of hepatitis as I believe they have lifetime immunity and my vet fully agrees with this. We do rabies only because we have to by law, however Sissy will get bloodwork first and if ANY value is outside of normal limits, I will get a medical exception letter from my vet due to her digestive disorder diagnosis. I also do not do lepto as there are several active strains and the vaccination doesn't come close to protecting against them all. All the recommendations indicate for toy breeds the risks associated with the vaccination far outweigh any potential benefit. Vaccinations such as corona, giardia and the new dental vaccine are a complete waste of money and just injecting poison into your furkids.

We do use heartworm year round as mosquitos can be found here in the middle of winter even though we live in a cold climate. There are also more and more instances of heartworm in strictly indoor animals in our area as well. We use Interceptor, which has a dose for 2-10 lb animals and also has the least amount of incidents reported. I do not use flea/tick protection as I prefer the natural essential oils in the shampoo we use. I have not seen a single flea on my girls.

What shampoo do you use for your fleas and ticks? I actually bought this product called flea flicker that protects against fleas, ticks and mosquitos and its all natural oils ... my holistic vet was impressed with my buy and told me that it looks like a great prodcut so I spray it on Maxi when we go to the park. But the shampoo seems like a good idea during the summer months.

Also, I just want to add that my vet aslo said to give him the heartguard every 3 months, not every month they way they tell you too because she said that for a small dog one pill will cover him for three months and its not necessary to give him in the winter months. Im not sure if I will stop or not, I have to see how it is here during the winter before I make a decision, but I doubt he will be going out much then so we will see
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!