View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #10
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by periwinkle View Post
Basically the lady from the rescue group said she wouldn't feed Wellness or Royal Canin to her dogs. She said the protein in a dog food should be between %18 and 25%.

She said she doesn't use flea and tick medicine, but uses a product called Triple Sure. I live in Southeast MI, and we have lots of mosquito's in summer.

I guess I have a lot more studying to do. If I change to Heartguard for a 7 pound dog, how much should I give her? I still have 5 months of Revolution left over also.

Also, I take my dog's on lots of walks, we go to parks a lot. If I stop some of these immunization's won't my dog pick up some disease if she sniffs around posts, etc.

Thanks
I don't think what you are doing is terrible. You obviously want what's best.
Telling you that a dog's food should contain between 18-25% protein is nothing more than an opinion. Some people believe that high protein foods can cuase renal failure. That really hasn't been proven. I'm not comfortable iwth higher protein foods, but that is my opinion.

A lot of very good vets use Revolution and that's okay.
There is some info circulating about dogs getting heartworms while on it.
It can happen with any heartworm med, but it seems to be more so with this one. That's one of the reasons I don't like it.

If you give Heartgard or Interceptor, you would just give the whole dose.

As much as using so many drugs and pesticides is not good, I live in SE MI also and if my dog was in the woods, she would be on flea prevention. And if natural remedies really worked that well, more people would be using them, so I shy away from them.

Lymes vaccines are a hard call. I suppose it depends on how many people are having the problem with their dogs in your area.

Neither Wellness nor RC are horrible food choices.
I would go with Wellness first if I had to pick one.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!