View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
Nascar Fan

Smokie gets a treat every time he pottys outside, #1 or 2. I have never used a potty pad for him. He has been expected to go outside since we got him. And since the first time he went outside, he gets a treat. I get the good healthy treats too. They are called Jerky Treats. I get the Beef. They are like long sticks of beef jerky only very soft. I break off a small piece. Now when he pottys outside, he will come sit at my feet waiting for his treat. If I haven't take one outside with me, soon as we get in the house, he flies in and jumps on the corner of the bed, just staring down the drawer where they are kept. Treat training has worked like gold with him. Your older dog is obviously going to take a bit longer, but keep him outside until he does his business. If you bring him in before he is done, its obvious he will go inside. You might even consider taking away the potty pad. That is just welcoming him to go inside. Use the treats - if he pees, he gets a treat - if he pees twice, he gets two pieces of treats. When he goes #2, he get a treat. He will get it soon. Also, you need to take him on a regular basis for a while. He doesn't know to go to the door. He's always been allowed to potty in the house. So its up to you to retrain him. Take him every 30 mins if you have to. If you have a fenced yard, leave him outside until you've seen him go. You can either sit outside, or watch through the window. But when he does go, its treat time! Make sure you take him when he first wakes up, or shortly after he eats, etc. Sooner or later he will get the idea. Also, if he sees the younger one getting a treat and he is not, he will figure out why. I have never used potty pads, ever. Not even when I worked. Our older dogs which we do not have anymore, would wait all day until we came home from work. Also, if you have a fenced yard, and a safe area, a doggie door might be an option so they can go when they need to. Or put him in a crate while you are gone. A small one, if its too big he will potty in the crate. Then take him directly outside until he does his business, then treat. They say its hard to teach an old dog new tricks. But I believe you can do it. Also, when he pottys in the house, you should show it to him, and in a stern voice tell him no! Then take it outside. I'm sure with the major change he is very confused right now. Best of luck to you! Reva - Smokie's mama
Nascar Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!