View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #22
yorkiepuppie
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaMoon View Post
Wow! How did you teach her so well? I've tried repeatedly to teach Bailey leave it and drop it but she's HORRIBLE! She steals and the worst is when she gets things she shouldn't have like paper and runs away and will even growl and try to bite me when I catch her and try to get it.
well, milu is my first dog. so i am not really an expert or anything! when i went to puppy school with milu, the teacher even rolled her eyes at me because i was doing a bad job training milu! i really had no clue!!!

but don't worry, they will learn once you learn how to teach them!

the teacher told us it's really important to teach the leave it command because if there was road kill and your dog got a hold of it, then you really need them to drop it!!!!

how the teacher showed us to train them to leave it was to have the dog sit or lay down, and put a piece of treat in front of them. tell them to "leave it"
and if they take the treat try to stop them and say uh-uh. give them a treat and say "good leave it" if they don't go for the treat.

eventually, you make them wait longer and longer before you give them the treat. (and always say "good leave it" to reinforce the command) so they know why they are getting a reward.

also, once they master "leave it" you can put treats on thier paws or their nose while you make them leave it. LOL! it's really cute to see how many treats you can put on their legs and have them leave it there. hehe.

let me know if you have any questions. i don't know if i did a good job explaining how to train the "leave it" command.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!