View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
jp4m2
Love my Boys
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TishaMoon View Post
I have a question about how to schedule several things Bailey needs...

She had all her puppy shots but we never went back for the rabies appt. I wanted to wait until she was 6 months. But then I lost track of time so now she's 7.5 months. She needs to go in for rabies. She also needs bordetella so she can get groomed and possibly boarded later this year. And I also want to get her spay done.

I know the vet probably wouldn't have an issue with doing it all at once, but isn't it better to space it out? Is it 2 weeks apart for rabies and spay to make it safer? Which is better to do first? (I'm guessing I'd have to do rabies first, since CA law is 4 months so she's overdue.) Is is okay to give rabies and bordetella at once, or need to split that up too?

Thanks.
I'm so glad your wanting to research vaccines with spaying and the possible impact this could have on your Baileys health .....It is important that this be done in the safest way possible for the health of your Bailey.....Good for you.....You are so correct in that most vets are clueless on the vaccine issue and would do everything under the sun in one visit.
Actually it isn't a bad thing you waited for the rabies vaccine, the older the better. Their immune system is not fully matured until they are about six months old, this helps in reducing reactions but it doesn't eliminate them completely, sad to say.

Vaccines should be done one at a visit and spaced 3-4 weeks apart, 4 is better.

Most knowledgeable vets agree that certain animals should NOT be vaccinated (absent proven, urgent need such as inevitable exposure to a life-threatening disease). These include, but aren’t limited to, pets with autoimmune disease … pets undergoing chemo, radiation or surgery (even dental cleaning or neutering) … pets with autoimmune disease, cancer, severe allergies and skin diseases … pets fighting an illness or parasites … pets stressed from shipment or a move to a new home … malnourished pets … and dying housebound pets. Assaulting the immune systems of these animals with vaccination has been likened to throwing gas on a raging fire.

The insert that comes with a vaccine clearly states that no vaccine is to be given on a sick dog or one going in or been through surgery......Their immune system is stressed with dealing with the illness or recovery and in giving a vaccine it would put added stress and strain on the immune system...which increases the probability for problems. The possible reactions that can occur from a rabies vaccine are......

Immediately or up to 3 days after the shot:
Vomiting
Facial swelling
Fever or lethargy
Circulatory shock
Loss of consciousness
Death

Days, weeks or months after the shot:
Fibrosarcoma (cancer) at the injection site
Seizures and Epilepsy
Allergies
Autoimmune diseases, including organ disease, allergies and skin problems
Chronic digestive problems
Muscle weakness, especially lack of hind end coordination
Chronic digestive disorders
Skin diseases like Ischemic Dermatopathy / Cutaneous vasculitis
Behavior problems: aggression, destructive behaviors, separation anxiety and odd obsessive behaviors (like tail chasing and paw licking).

From Tamara Hebbler, DVM, holistic consulting vet (San Diego):
The most disturbing, relatively routine, veterinary practice is vaccinating ill or compromised animals. I am appalled that this is still happening yet I hear from my clients that it is more the norm than the exception.

Vaccinating a stressed or ill dog violates our Hippocratic Oath: Above All Do No Harm. When an animal is going in for surgery or chemo, or has an autoimmune disease or neoplastic condition [a tumor], or even a chronic immune challenge such as allergies or endocrine/metabolic diseases, they are at a high increased risk to an adverse reaction to any vaccine. I liken such vaccination to playing Russian Roulette with an animal’s immune system — with 5 of the 6 barrels loaded, not just 1.

If negative reactions are severe enough, and immediate, most people will connect the reaction to the shot. However, if the reaction develops over a few weeks or months, you may not tie it to the shot – and your vet probably won’t either. In standard veterinary practice, we have brief appointments and are very busy, I regret to say, treating many of the dis-ease states that we as a profession, with the help of the pet food industry, have created. It is only through laborious record review that I made the connection.

Be bold and stand up for your pet especially when he or she is not feeling well. Just say NO to vaccinations and start researching and titer testing.

Also.....

Melissa Kennedy, DVM, PhD, DACVIM wrote in DVM360 on-line magazine: "The likelihood of adverse reactions in dogs has been found to correlate with the size of the dog and the number of inoculations given, with higher risk associated with small size and multiple inoculations." This means: no combo shots for small dogs. In fact, NEVER GIVE ANY OTHER SHOT WITH A RABIES SHOT. Wait at least three or four weeks between the rabies shot and other shots.

Sorry on the length.....

Last edited by jp4m2; 08-29-2009 at 08:24 AM.
jp4m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!