View Single Post
Old 03-21-2005, 03:13 PM   #7
cometsmom
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by klogan
Stomper is now 15 weeks old - he goes to bed at 9 PM and wakes up every morning between 5:45 - 6:15 AM. Even if he goes to bed later, he still gets up between 5:45 - 6:15 AM! Once he is up, he will NOT go back to sleep. He cries and barks - wants to play! I've tried to put him back in the crate, but he cries and barks - can't sleep so I get up. I've even tried NO!

He used to get up 3 times a night. I started to ignore a few of the cries/barks because I thought he was doing it for attention. I suggest getting some ear plugs and ignoring him at least one of the times during the night. If you don't feed him after 5 PM, he shouldn't need to get up that much. It is hard to ignore them, but try it for at least 5 nights. Note: Stomper would force himself to pee all 3 times, but it was not much pee. That is how I knew he didn't really need to get up!

From what I understand, it typically takes puppies between 14-16 weeks to hold it through the night. Give it a little more time. He is 15 weeks and should not be getting up 3 times a night. Unless...is he tiny? My yorkie is already 6 pounds and 6 ounces so he should be able to hold it!

Thanks Klogen and Stomper for the good advice! Comet is only about 3 1/2 to 4 pounds and poops or pees each time he goes out. I will look forward to the next two weeks as you suggest. My instincts tell me that it will take a couple more weeks for him to begin sleeping longer!
cometsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!