View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 03:41 AM   #6
JHurtt
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

I agree with the information that you have already received. If these two are siblings, most likely one of the parents are a Biewer and the other a Splitter (meaning that it came from a Yorkie (or another Splitter) bred to a Biewer).

I personally feel very strongly that we should be breeding the Biewers back to the Yorkies for various reasons, the most important to expand the very limited number of lines that we have. I do, however, feel that this should be done carefully and only to build upon the Biewers. The puppies from these litters need to be carefully monitored to ensure that they will truly better the Biewers and when sold, need to be sold for what they are. In Germany, when you have a litter like this, the Biewer colored pups are registered as Biewers and the traditional Yorkie colored pups are registered as Yorkies. The breeders really need to understand this as it is important for not only the Biewers, but the Yorkies as well. While the resulting pups might be registered as Yorkies, the breeder really needs to ensure that unless sold to a Biewer breeder who really understands all of this, that they are sold as pets on spay / neuter contracts. Many Yorkie breeders worry that these pups will be sold as Yorkies to novice Yorkie breeders who will then breed them into the traditional Yorkie lines.

This isn't to say that the person your friend is in conact with is a bad breeder. They may simply be very misinformed. I personally would suggest that your friend really talk to the breeder about this to understand their way of thinking. If they are misinformed, perhaps it will help persuade them to get out there and do more research on the subject. If not and they don't seem to care too much, I would advise your friend to be hesitant in purchasing from them.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!