View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #13
YorkieMother
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulababy View Post
hi.. that was a lot of information thanks.

sorry if i misunderstand some things but some of the sentences are running together...Yes sometimes my sentces do run togehter and I spell not well and worse when tires i just wanted to clarify that i do not participate in petco training classes.. i give a big NO to them. pebbles trainer is a private trainer that was recommended by my vet and she is very very good. she trains police dogs. pebbles is in the advanced class and knows ALOT and it is all positive reinforcement training without treats and making them actually think about your commands.. the playtime at petco is not a CLASS. it is just where people can bring their dogs for a dog meetup in the area because we dont have a dog park... there is a really poorly skilled "trainer" there that "supervises".. but she doesnt teach anything. i wouldnt let her teach my dogs anything if she PAID ME.
Just cause one trains police dogs does not mean they know how to handle aggression at all. There is no room in police dog work for an aggressive dog at all. Trust me that most vets do not have a clue at all about training and recomending trainers all to many are old school. Great on the pet co.

um, also... i know people generally think owners are anthropomorphizing their dogs when they say things like them being "jealous"... but honestly i am very curious about levels of animal intelligence and do a lot of reading on it and read a lot of studies.. my main interest is in dolphins but stumbling across information on animal brains and ideas about their function i have come across information about dogs.. and yeah it is still up for debate but generally they are around a human 2 year old in terms mental development and i do think 2 year olds are capable of being jealous. if it isnt jealously, it is simply him desiring a lot of attention and being upset when he is not getting it and another dog is. I have a look at and around the work of temple grandin and her take on things.

I will work on the drop it leave it etc commands, but i dont think i need to take away all of their toys. he basically is like a child in that a toy seems to gain attraction in his mind only after another dog decides it is cool to play with.. but he doesnt do this all the time and ive discussed this before with people that have multiple dogs and you cant just play police all the time.. i figure at some point they have to work it out between themselves. i have tried to let them associate certain toys as belonging to them... and it seems to have worked with a few of the toys.. as in, they go for that toy, and the other dogs respect it as beign their toy and basically leave it alone and stick to their own personal group of toys. they dont fight over bully sticks or anything liek that... he just likes to guard the food bowl but the other dogs dont care... i think i will try taking their food up etc.

When managing a multi dog family with one that has issuse you need to not let them work it out as it will only get worse a they will end up doing great harm.

i am reading about the nothing comes for free technique and it seems to make sense... he is definetly the timid dog that is afraid of the power he seems to think he has... im going to start this technique right away. it is complicated because pebbles doesnt really need this technique at all... i dont know whether i should do it with both of them or not. pebbles is rather trained and courteous and sits patiently etc waiting for direction..

i agree with the idea about agility classes... i really want to do those. pebbles trainer teaches this as well, but she wants the dogs to be off leash and "proof trained" (following a command even though it seems you dont mean it or if there are tons of distractions or things that make them not want to follow the command) before joining the class.. so he will have a wait a bit and graduate up to that level but i will definetly work on him learning some little tricks until his class starts in oct!!
You need to look into a CU class and if there is one in the area and get him enrolled. It can be done.
Quiclsilvers coment that your good dog will teach the bad one is well not correct in that the learning will go both ways and yes both dogs on Nothing in life is a good Idea. I would also suggest Dr Overalls protocal for relaxation

Last edited by YorkieMother; 08-26-2009 at 10:08 PM.
YorkieMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!