View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
lulababy
bam and pebbles mommy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieMother View Post
Ok first of all he is still a puppy dogs are not all grown up in the head unti lthey are three so you have a few years yet to get this turned around and going forward. the soner thebetter though as the less he reinforces the bad stuff the better.

Second. I am not a fan of pet coo training they are not concistant across the obard in using postive and they lack a great dea l of training in aggresion.
I suggest you look here at a trainer for postive Truly Dog Friendly Truly Dog-Friendly Trainers
Scroll down there are a few in Florida.
Third drop the thought that he is jealuos that is a high level of brain funtion and we are still not sure they can do that as yet as it is in the huma npart of the brain that this function occirs and dogs do nto have that part of the brain in thier as developed.

Fourth dogs do not Alpha roll other dogs the one dog shows appesment behaviour to the other. Usually it is the stronger socially knowledgable that will show the belly so the one in fear is less afraid.

Fifth I think that by the sounds of it you have an undersocilaized problem child on your hands that needs a lot of gentle rehab work see the list of trainers above.

Also the nearset vet school shoul dhave a behaviuourist on board and if not Google AVBA and they should have a listing on behaviourist in your area. You do want a PHD packing or APDT packing postive trainer no rough stuff.

Sixth working resouce guarding will help the take it drop it switch for a better item give it back but if he is working guarding with dogs the items need to go away and if he gets them or others then it given where each are seprated.
My girl never gets a bully stick with another dog in the room and if one comes in and I know a stick is about . I find it. Just no reason to leave a trigger around.
If he is guarding the step or blcoking passage put hime to work.. doing something else so that the others can go do their thing.

Seveth start to build hid self confindence teach him silly tricks and get him in agilty work cintrol unleash program and just keep telling him wit htaht clicker hadtreat that he is a good boy he will get it.

I sugget Pat McConnells pamphlet feeling out numbered living in a multi dog house.

JL

hi.. that was a lot of information thanks.

sorry if i misunderstand some things but some of the sentences are running together... i just wanted to clarify that i do not participate in petco training classes.. i give a big NO to them. pebbles trainer is a private trainer that was recommended by my vet and she is very very good. she trains police dogs. pebbles is in the advanced class and knows ALOT and it is all positive reinforcement training without treats and making them actually think about your commands.. the playtime at petco is not a CLASS. it is just where people can bring their dogs for a dog meetup in the area because we dont have a dog park... there is a really poorly skilled "trainer" there that "supervises".. but she doesnt teach anything. i wouldnt let her teach my dogs anything if she PAID ME.

um, also... i know people generally think owners are anthropomorphizing their dogs when they say things like them being "jealous"... but honestly i am very curious about levels of animal intelligence and do a lot of reading on it and read a lot of studies.. my main interest is in dolphins but stumbling across information on animal brains and ideas about their function i have come across information about dogs.. and yeah it is still up for debate but generally they are around a human 2 year old in terms mental development and i do think 2 year olds are capable of being jealous. if it isnt jealously, it is simply him desiring a lot of attention and being upset when he is not getting it and another dog is.

I will work on the drop it leave it etc commands, but i dont think i need to take away all of their toys. he basically is like a child in that a toy seems to gain attraction in his mind only after another dog decides it is cool to play with.. but he doesnt do this all the time and ive discussed this before with people that have multiple dogs and you cant just play police all the time.. i figure at some point they have to work it out between themselves. i have tried to let them associate certain toys as belonging to them... and it seems to have worked with a few of the toys.. as in, they go for that toy, and the other dogs respect it as beign their toy and basically leave it alone and stick to their own personal group of toys. they dont fight over bully sticks or anything liek that... he just likes to guard the food bowl but the other dogs dont care... i think i will try taking their food up etc.

i am reading about the nothing comes for free technique and it seems to make sense... he is definetly the timid dog that is afraid of the power he seems to think he has... im going to start this technique right away. it is complicated because pebbles doesnt really need this technique at all... i dont know whether i should do it with both of them or not. pebbles is rather trained and courteous and sits patiently etc waiting for direction..

i agree with the idea about agility classes... i really want to do those. pebbles trainer teaches this as well, but she wants the dogs to be off leash and "proof trained" (following a command even though it seems you dont mean it or if there are tons of distractions or things that make them not want to follow the command) before joining the class.. so he will have a wait a bit and graduate up to that level but i will definetly work on him learning some little tricks until his class starts in oct!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!