View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
Lia
Senior Yorkie Talker

Confused I'm confused! Is what I'm doing ok?

HI everyone, I need some help or incite on this. When I first got Bella, I would put her in a crate a night time to sleep. Well as many times as I would set my alarm to wake up to take her to pee on a pad, I couldn't seem to get to her on time, she would just pee and poo in her crate. ANd she would never cry so it's not like she would wake me up when she had to go. So I ended up putting the crate in the bathroom with the little door open so that she could walk out and go pee on her pad when she needed to. ( As a side note, I thought that dogs don't pee where they sleep?) Anyway, I didn't like the fact of closing the bathroom door so I just put a children's gate up. Instead of having to wash her bedding and blankets every day I now had to mop my bathroom floor every day because she would miss the pad. Come to think of it I don't know why I didn't line the whole bathroom up with pads? Well anyway, I thought maybe a night light would help her find her way to the pad. Nope! Ok, so this was going on from 8wks till she was 16wks old.

Bella was scheduled to be spayed and have some hernia repair at 4months old. So to prepare a little bit 2 days prior to her surgery I had her sleep with me, because I wanted to be able to stop her from licking herself as much as I could, during the night. Well she did great in my bed, she did not get up once to try and go pee, normally in the bathroom I would see 2 different potty spots and #2. So anyway she held it all night, didn't have to clean up after her. The second night came and she did just as well. Needless to say she's been sleeping in my bed ever since.

However, now that my husband has to be away and can only come home on the weekends, I do put her bed in the bathroom with a potty pad and the baby gate up. It's weird how she will not hold it if she is sleeping in the bathroom on her bed, but if she is in my bed sleeping on her little bed, she will. I hope everyone got that? So at least it's only on the weekends that I'm continuosly cleaning up after her, in the bathroom.

Now, just to let you all know she has free roam of the house all day long and goes directly to her potty pad when she has to do any of her business. She has maybe 1 accident a month, which is really good. I would say she is 5months and 98% potty trained. So my question is why can't she hold it in the bathroom and why the mess? Any ideas? Oh one more thing why does she go pee and then run off the pad and then back to it at lick her pee? She only does one lick as if to verify that it is indeed pee. Strange?
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!