View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
Krystee
Tobie's Mommy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
Just curious? Anyone else got a shy Yorkie on their hands?

Jackson is kind of a funny animal, LOL. He's never un-friendly per say (never any snapping, biting, not a lot of barking, etc) he just prefers you to keep your distance if you're a stranger. For example... if a stranger comes into the house, he's much happier when they just don't pay attention to him. He likes to go up and sniff the stranger, but the minute the stranger bends down to pet him, he backs away. He never shakes or anything, he will still wag his tail, sometimes his ears will be back though like he's maybe a little nervous. But basically, he will not let a stranger pet him ever. He WILL take treats/food from strangers - I've tried letting the guest give him a treat, Jackson will go up, take the treat and run away.

On the other hand, if it's people he has met before, he will LOVE you to no end! When you walk in the door, he's sooo excited to see certain people, gives love, etc. It's the people who he sees either on a daily, weekly or monthly basis that he's absolutely fine with. My parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, grandparents, close friends, etc. He will love them, lick them, go up to them, let them pet him, no problemo. However with dogs, he loves EVERY dog he encounters. He's not really shy around dogs.

Sometimes I just wish he was friendlier with people and would allow people to pet him that he doesn't know, but I guess it's not always a BAD thing that he doesn't go up to everyone. I just didn't know if this was considered a "Yorkie" thing, a personality thing, a small dog thing, or if it's MY fault and there's something I could be doing differently. I grew up with larger dogs, a Golden Retriever at that, and she was always just so friendly to guests and never dealt with this issue.

I could have posted this entire thing myself. lol. You just described Tobie to a T... I think Jackson and him would be best friends!

Tobie has never growled, snapped or barked at anyone but if a stranger comes up to pet him, he will back up or move his head. I always feel so bad because the person is all smiling.. "look at the cute puppy" and then when he backs up their smile changes to a frown and it looks like they feel like they just got dissed. lol

Tobie also LOVES all other dogs and will go right up to them and want to play and give kisses. lol.

I'm glad he's not the only one that does this... I've been trying to do things to get him to be more friendly but maybe it's just his personality
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!