View Single Post
Old 08-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
Princessangela3
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorkieMomii View Post
Here is a quick blurb of info I came across. Seems reasonble to think it could be passed from other dog type species. If your dog is vacinated, it shouldn't be a concern I would think.

"CPV2 affects dogs, wolves, foxes, and other canids. CPV2a and CPV2b have been isolated from a small percentage of symptomatic cats and is more common than feline panleukopenia in big cats.[12]
Previously it has been thought that the virus does not undergo cross species infection. However studies in Vietnam have shown that CPV2 can undergo minor antigenic shift and natural mutation to infect felids. Analyses of feline parvovirus (FPV) isolates in Vietnam and Taiwan revealed that more than 80% of the isolates were of the canine parvovirus type, rather than feline panleukopenia virus (FPLV).[13] CPV2 may spread to cats easier than dogs and undergo faster rates of mutation within that species. The virus does not transmit to birds, or humans , but it can be spread by them when a bird comes in contact with feces and then the dog's environment, or when a cat goes to the groomers and returns with an exposed pet carrier."
Thanks for the info I appreciate it.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!