View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 05:18 AM   #5
livingdustmops
Princess Poop A Lot
Donating Member

Congrats on your first litter and Biewers are wonderful dogs.

To answer your question there are more than just 2 clubs in the US and the difference in the 3 main ones are breeding practices. 2 (BBCA & BTCA) of them only believe in breeding Biewer to Biewer where the 3rd club (BAPPC)believes for the health of these dogs it is important to breed back to its foundation dogs (the Yorkie) about every 5th generation. This is a new breed/variation and because of the inbreeding it is very important to understand the genetics of these dogs. While you might not want to join a club I believe it is very important for the health of your dogs and to understand what needs to be done with the health of the dog in mind. Joining a club will help you become a better breeder and help you with the pedigree's. Just putting 2 Biewers together could be a disaster if you don't know how closely related these dogs are. Many people that have been involved since 2003 still do not have all the answers so I believe doing research on your own will not provide you with enough answers on so new of a variation of the Yorkie.

One of the clubs (BTCA) does not believe they are Yorkies anymore and are Biewer Terriers even though they will not acknowledge what the mix of breeds is for these dogs.

If you are interested in showing your dogs (which I think is very important to help you make good decisions in your breeding program) two of the clubs have been much more involved in the showring than the 3rd club. It will also help you make decisions on when you sell your puppies if they are pet quality (which most will be) or breeding quality.

So while I can understand you not wanting to join a club (it can be very ugly at times) for the sake of your dogs I believe it is important to be with like minded people in trying to build a strong foundation for these dogs. I do not believe in the rush to join AKC until these dogs have a strong foundation and I would like to see at least 10 generations without breeding from the same lines. This is not possible at this time but reputable breeders are working hand and hand together to protect these dogs.

Good Luck with your decision.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!