View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 06:01 AM   #8
Ashley V
♥ Chip ♥ Smokey ♥
Donating Member

I can totally sympathize with you. We got our second yorkie in October of 2007 (his name is Smokey too!) and he has a similar story. We were his 5th home and he was only 6 months old. I can tell you the whole story, I just don't want to hijack your thread lol. Anyways, he was great and just the best little puppy when we were with him, but the second we would even put him somewhere where he couldn't be touching us, he would get severe diaherria and walk all in it. I'm not kidding - we could baby gate him in the bathroom 10 feet away from us to go to bed and he would freak out. Finally, we figured out that he couldn't handle being alone and that if we let him at least free roam in the master bedroom with our other dog, he was fine.

I know your situation isn't exactly like ours and I know this might not be feasible, but maybe see how he'd react to a puppy friend. Also, when you leave and come home, don't make a huge fuss because that will make it worse. When you leave, don't even look at him or talk to him. When you come home, do what you have to do first and wait for him to calm down, then go to him and pet him, but still don't make a huge deal out of it. It does make it easier on him... maybe not right away, but it should help over time. Just an example... when I drop my yorkie off for grooming, I usually talk to them and love on them and when I turn to leave, they FREAK OUT. The last time I dropped them off, I tried the approach I told you about. I just put them in their crate, closed the door and walked off without even a pet or two words. It killed me inside to do that, but you know what, they didn't even make a sound.

Hopefully some of this helps. Like I said, my Smokey has a similar story and it's been almost 2 years he's been in our home and he's great 99% of the time with his anxiety now. You could try consulting a vet or a trainer about the problem too. He sounds like he's gotten really attached to you and wants to make sure you aren't going to leave him. Poor guy has been through a lot. For a long time my Smokey wouldn't even jump in the car by himself and wouldn't come out either.. when I'd pick him up, he would just shake all over and hide his head in my arms. He doesn't do that anymore! Now he prances and goes wherever whenever. Anyways, if you have any other questions or whatever, you can PM me and I'll try to help the best I can.

Karley Marissa born 1/20/12 weighing 8 lbs 11 oz and 21.5 inches long
Ashley V is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!