Thread: Alpha Roll
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelandSadie View Post
the longer i have Sadie and the more time i spend with her, the more i realize that Sadie is Sadie and there are no magic words to make her perfect and there are no rights and wrongs in training her really. it's all situational, what works for her doesn't work for others and vice versa. each dog is an individual and has to be treated in a way that works best for them.

just like you can't write a book that teaches you everything there is to know about being a child's parent, it's the same with dogs, there is good info. lots of advice to try out, but there are many ways to do things and you have to find what works best for the dog you have!!

i'm learning so much that i have to learn how to train and teach her based on how she responds and not how i've been taught or advised to do it. it's all based on how well it works with her!

just thought i'd throw that out there, there is no magic words, just trial and error in finding the perfect thing to make the dog listen, learn, and respond.
Just remember too, that patience and consistency are keys! Sine you have only had Sadie a couple of weeks, there can't be too much change in whta you are doing. Methods take a while to decide if they are going to work. A tiny 8 week old puppy needs a few weeks to get an idea. Some may not be quite as receptive to training until they have aged a few more weeks. Doesn't mean you don't try, you just have to be extra patient to see results of your efforts. So, just because something you try does not work immediately, does not mean it is not right for her. She just may need a little more time. We get our instant gratification by loving them but not usually in their training.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!