View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #13
joeyandtanksmom
YT 500 Club Member

I would most certainly agree that consistency is needed! My dogs actually won't even get close to a plate or bowl not used for their food. I will move a plate of food toward Joey or Tank (to show people how great they are!), and they move away from it. When I was teaching them this, I would just yell "no!" whenever they got close. Eventually, I just had to say their name in a "don't you even think about it" voice, and they are now wonderful! As for the begging, my dogs also participate in the behavior (my hubby and I are naughty...my furkids get people food every once in a while). We eat at our recliners with our plates in our laps most of the time (we live in an apt), and the dogs will jump up and sit on our armrests, with their faces in ours. We just shove them off the chair or tell them to get down, and they eventually forget what they were sitting on the ground for. They will play with each other, and we don't have to deal with the begging! I agree with not feeding them where you eat, also. I take the treats to a specific spot in the middle of my living room, and they know if I'm there with food, they may have it. Otherwise, they don't get any. Patience and persistence are the keys!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!