View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 09:41 PM   #12
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
Rule two is always eat at the table. Lol, Joey's great when I'm at the table, but I confess, I've given in if I've eaten somewhere else, and now he's relentless, so I just always eat at the table. Really you can say no 40 times, but if you say yes just once, it's like you've never said no, and all he hears is YES!.
I will also confess to this bad habit. I don't have a problem with mine at the table either, but eat in the living room and they all sit looking at me like they are expecting treats. Little Rocky (5 months old) is agressive about it -- not quite to the extent the OP is describing but not well-trained either. I guess I will have to train the trainer first and quit eating in the living room.

I have also been guilty of giving Rocky a taste here and there of my food. I eat a lot of mixed vegetables and he loves them (green beans and carrots are his favorites). Thinking they are good for him, I did not realize I was creating a monster. So, now I have to put my foot down and tell him no, every time. I figure it will take a month or so but he will get the idea eventually. Would have been so much simpler if I had never given him any while I was still eating, to start with.

To the OP -- consistency is the key! Yours is still very young. That is very agressive behavior you are describing but you should still be able to get it in check with firm and consistent "no's." My others will sit and stare woefully at me when I eat but they never beg outright. They just learned it did them no good as I did not give in. I don't know what got into me with Rocky. Puppies are harder to say no to.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!