View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Mom to Hot Rod
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaPants View Post
Hi everyone:
My little Nina Pants, 4 years old next month!, is having surgery on her knee for luxating patellar correction. I am so nervous and scared for my baby! Most of all I am very concerned about the recovery process. How do I keep her calm and "inactive"? Nina loves to play and run.
I would really love to hear from all of you yorkie mommies who have been through this and about how you dealt with the recovery process. Should I bring her to the vet tomorrow in a crate? She is so squirmish and nervous when we go to the vet, so I thought maybe this might help her.
How do we keep her most comfortable, what methods did you use as far as where to keep your dog and blankets, maybe tee shirts to keep her warm, where should she sleep? She usually sleeps with us in bed.
And how do we get her to go potty, and where? We live in a condo on the 2nd floor and have trained Nina to go in a doggie litter box out on our porch, but for no2s Nina prefers only walks! How did you get your dog to go potty?

I'd also like to know if anyone has tried any other methods of comfort or tried feeding your dog any special foods or supplements to support recovery? We use glucosamine and chondroitin but I am wondering if there is anything wonderful out there for dogs post-surgery.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks so much for reading and please keep my baby in your prayers tonight!

Hi there, I will keep Nina in my thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery tomorrow. Yes, we went thru lp surgery about 5 months ago. Trust me, once the surgery is over, about 90% of your anxiety will be gone!

Well, on to the recovery. You must, must, must follow your surgeons instructions. Ours told us that Hot Rod should be in his crate or at the most, a 3 x 3 area. He had not been crated for a year and a 1/2 by that point in time. He does stay in his expen at night but even that area was bigger than what the vet wanted. Hot Rod was either in crate or in our arms most of the time. We are able to pull the back cushion of our sofa down to make a table top, that is where Hot Rod eventually wound up with his harness on and a lanyard hook to him and wrapped around my wrist.

It was very hard to keep him still as we have another yorkie is very active and playful. At first he didn't want anything to do with her but as the weeks went on, he wanted to play.

As far as potty, he's trained on the pad. I would set him on it and sort of keep my hands around him just in case he couldn't balance himself. It was at least a week, week 1/2 before hubby took him outside. And then we carried him and put him down to go and then scooped him back up and brought him in.

Don't be surprised if she acts differently at first. The poor baby will be in pain and out of it. Hot Rod ate at first but then didn't eat for about a day 1/2. The surgeon told us not to be surprised if at his 2 week checkup that he wasn't using his leg. It was every bit of that and then some. He even hobbled at the 2 month mark!

But it is all worth it as now he's as strong as can be. There is a reason and a light at the end of the tunne.

Good luck tomorrow and give little Nina Pants big hugs and kisses from us. feel free to pm me with any questions.
Mom to Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!